We are surrounded by the fruits of science exploration and knowledge every day. From the computer we carry in our back pocket, to the high-efficiency lighting and sound found in performance space, to the advances being made in wood products, space exploration, aquaculture, and understanding of climate change, we rely on science to function in our daily lives whether we recognize it or not. At the Maine Science Festival, our quest is to help you understand the importance of science to our lives and to also discover what we know: Maine scientists and engineers are among the best in the world, and that science is everywhere.
Did you know that a Maine company (Fiber Materials) was one of the reasons that NASA has successfully landed on Mars not just once, not twice, but THREE times? That another research facility on Mt Desert Island (MDI Biological Laboratory) leads the way in aging and regeneration research? That The Jackson Laboratory might be known in Maine for its mice, but they are actually world-leading researchers in genetics studying Alzheimer's disease, cancer, aging, and addiction. AND that Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences is one of the world's preeminent research institutions studying microscopic life in the oceans.
If you’ve gone to any MSF event, then you probably know even more about Maine science.
• The Maine Science Festival is the first and only science festival in Maine. The MSF launched in 2015 and is a celebration of the national and world-leading science by the Mainers who do it.
• Since conception, more than 60,000 people have joined us at the five-day March festival.
• We host (free of charge*) more than 70+ events showcasing the remarkable work happening in Maine on the daily.
• With forums, shows, talks, art exhibits, and an array of workshops and hands-on activities for all ages, we bring Maine science to the public.
• In addition to the festival, we also produce the Maine Science Podcast: conversations with some of the Mainers who do and use science in Maine.
If you’d like to see the programs from our previous festivals, please click on a link below:
2022 Maine Science Festival Program
2019 Maine Science Festival Program
2018 Maine Science Festival Program
2017 Maine Science Festival Program
2016 Maine Science Festival Program
2015 Maine Science Festival Program
The Maine Science Festival is proud to be an independently funded program of the Maine Discovery Museum and is a member of the Science Festival Alliance.
** The only current exception is our headliner; we are working to keep virtually every MSF event free, and will only charge for those events that come with significant costs. If you are interested in helping, please consider becoming a sponsor or donating.