We continue to delight in hearing about, and from, scientists, engineers, and innovators who have been part of the Maine Science Festival. MSF alums were busy this summer:
- Beth Orcutt (2018 5 Minute Genius) from Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences was awarded the prestigious 2019 Asahiko Taira International Scientific Ocean Drilling Research Prize!
- The University of Maine, with a large number of organizations throughout the state, has received a five year, $20 million National Science Foundation EPSCoR grant on Environmental DNA.
- Dana Strout (2018 MSF Pop up event – The Story Collider). Dana’s story was released by The Story Collider podcast in an episode the science of intimate areas.
- Justin Amaral (2019 MSF Pop-up event: Tap Takeover) of Mainiacal Yeast was featured in a story about extracting “space yeast.”
- 2019 MSF Sponsor AARP Maine installed a FitLot in Bangor – Maine’s state location for the nationwide+ AARP project.
- Governor Janet Mills signed a bill this summer that will advance UMaine Advanced Structures and Composites Center‘s offshore wind project. The MSF put a spotlight on this work at our 2016 Maine Science Festival with a talk by Habib Dagher as part of 5 Minute Genius.